Acne is a problem that affects almost everyone at some point in their lives, regardless of their gender and age. It is one of the most common skin conditions that affects 85% of the population in the U.S., along with acne scarring, inflammation, and redness.
Acne usually starts in adolescence. However, it can stick around for longer if you fail to observe proper skincare. Besides affecting your physical appearance, it can have a huge impact on your mental health, self-confidence, and self-image.
Luckily, there are effective and safe treatment options such as acne facials that can address moderate to severe acne. This guide can help you understand acne, what causes it, and how to get maximum benefits from your acne treatment.
Read on to learn more.
Different Types Of Acne
Acne is the result of oil, dead skin cells or bacteria getting stuck in your pores and hair follicles. It can be categorized into two types, namely non-inflammatory acne and inflammatory acne.
Whiteheads and blackheads (aka comedones) are the most common type of non-inflammatory acne.
- Blackheads are open pores that are clogged by oil.
- Whiteheads are oil-clogged pores that are closed at the top. If you leave them untreated, they can lead to inflammatory acne.
Inflammatory acne occurs when your clogged pores get infected with bacteria as well. It can result in moderate to severe acne and can leave scars on your skin.
Inflammatory acne can manifest in the form of:
- Papules or elevated red pimples caused by inflamed or irritated hair follicles.
- Pustules or tiny red pimples with pus-filled tips.
- Nodules or firm, painful bumps that grow under the skin’s surface.
- Cysts or uncomfortable bumps beneath the skin that typically contain pus.
What Causes Acne?
Acne can be caused by a number of factors, such as:
- Excessive production of oil (sebum)
- Clogged pores from oil and skin cells
- Hormonal imbalances
- Certain medicines
How Can An Acne Facial Address Acne-Related Skin Concerns?
No matter what causes your acne, acne facials can help reduce the frequency and severity of your breakouts.
An acne facial is a multistep procedure that includes cleansing, exfoliation, chemical peels, extensive extractions, and soothing masks that can help purify any clogged pores, draw out dirt and keratin build-up and eliminate any acne-causing bacteria from your skin.
Acne facials can also improve circulation and hydrate the skin, resulting in a clearer, smoother, and more radiant complexion.
Once you’ve completed your acne facial treatment, here are a few things that you can do to maximize the results:
- Choose a highly skilled and well-trained provider that can understand your acne-related concerns and create a customized treatment option for you.
- Strictly adhere to the aftercare practices suggested by your provider.
- Your provider may choose to prescribe some topical skin care products to enhance the results, so make sure to use them as advised.
- Follow a good skincare routine that involves mild cleansing, moisturizing, and SPF.
- Cleanse your face to remove any makeup and impurities before going to bed.
- Schedule a follow-up treatment every two weeks to prevent future acne breakouts.
Effective acne treatment generally includes acne facials, as well as a healthy lifestyle, a good skincare routine, and other preventative measures.
At Robert Andrews Laser and Medical Aesthetics in Colorado Springs, CO, not only do you get a customized acne facial experience but our experts will also advise on how to take better care of your skin in the long run.
Book a consultation now to know more.